By Andrei B. Klimov
Written via significant individuals to the sphere who're renowned in the group, this is often the 1st accomplished precis of the various effects generated through this method of quantum optics so far. As such, the publication analyses chosen issues of quantum optics, targeting atom-field interactions from a group-theoretical standpoint, whereas discussing the primary quantum optics versions utilizing algebraic language. the general result's a transparent demonstration of some great benefits of using algebraic the right way to quantum optics difficulties, illustrated through a couple of end-of-chapter difficulties. a useful resource for atomic physicists, graduates and scholars in physics.
Read or Download A Group-Theoretical Approach to Quantum Optics PDF
Best quantum physics books
NEW YORK occasions BESTSELLER
THIRTEEN awesome ESSAYS SHED NEW mild at the MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE—AND ON essentially the most fantastic THINKERS OF OUR TIME.
In his exceptional bestseller a quick historical past of Time, Stephen Hawking actually remodeled the best way we expect approximately physics, the universe, truth itself. In those 13 essays and one extraordinary prolonged interview, the fellow broadly considered as the main impressive theoretical physicist seeing that Einstein returns to bare an awesome array of chances for knowing our universe.
Building on his prior paintings, Hawking discusses imaginary time, how black holes may give start to child universes, and scientists’ efforts to discover an entire unified conception that may are expecting every little thing within the universe. along with his attribute mastery of language, his humorousness and dedication to straightforward talking, Stephen Hawking invitations us to grasp him better—and to proportion his ardour for the voyage of mind and mind's eye that has opened new how one can figuring out the very nature of the cosmos.
As this little ebook was once basically designed for using chemists and different non-mathematical readers i've got further a bit on diatomic molecules and particularly a lot prolonged the chapters at the chemical bond. those are within the similar straight forward variety because the remainder of the booklet. i am hoping that those additions (which appear suitable with the belief of a small notebook) will have the funds for a great representation of the tools of wave mechanics in addition to its usefulness for chemical difficulties.
- Advanced quantum mechanics
- From quantum mechanics to technology: proceedings of the XXXIInd Winter School of Theoretical Physics, held in Karpacz, Poland, 19-29 February 1996
- Adiabatic Perturbation Theory in Quantum Dynamics
- Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (2nd Edition)
- Modern foundations of quantum optics
- Atoms, Molecules and Photons: An Introduction to Atomic-, Molecular- and Quantum Physics (2nd Edition)
Extra info for A Group-Theoretical Approach to Quantum Optics
The operators sz , s ij = |i j|, j = i, i, j = 1, . . , n form the n-dimensional representation of the su(n) algebra. In the case of A identical atoms with n energy levels, the collective operators A S ij = |a, i a, j|, i, j = 1, . . 48) a=1 are introduced where |a, i is a state of the ath atom. 45. Thus the problem is reduced to the construction of the irreducible representations for the su(n) group. If the atoms are identical (the Hamiltonian is invariant under permutations of atoms), it is sufﬁcient to consider only the symmetric representation.
19) is time independent. 4). 19. This is done by applying in a perturbative way a series of small Lie-type transformations. 19). Indeed, by introducing the notations H0 = ωSz + E0 , Hr = g E † S− + ES+ , Ha = g E † S+ + ES− we have † U1 H0 U1 = H0 − ε(ω + )(E † S+ + ES− ) − ε2 2(ω + )Sz E † E † U1 Hr U1 = Hr + 2εg(E † 2 + E 2 )Sz −ε2 g E † 3 S+ + E 3 S− + E 2 E † S+ + EE † 2 S− † U1 Ha U1 = Ha + 4εgE † ESz − 2ε2 g EE † 2 S+ + E † E 2 S− 31 32 2 Atomic Dynamics where the second term in the ﬁrst equation cancels the antirotating term.
15) Here, S+,−,z are collective spin operators. If S± → σ± , Sz → σz /2, the Hamiltonian is reduced to the one-atom case. 15). ) These operators act in a Hilbert space spanned by eigenstates of the operator † E0 = E0 : E0 |m = m|m , m = · · · − 1, 0, 1, . . 5 Dynamics of the Two-level Atom without the RWA Here, E and E † are ﬁeld phase operators, E0 is the shifted photon-number operator, and m = n − n. 16) are approximately satisﬁed if n. 17. 15). Furthermore, we can, without loss of generality, set the global common phase θ equal to 0.