By Andrew Dickson White
First released in 1896, this two-volume historical past of the clash among theology and technology quick grew to become a landmark textual content. It used to be greatly recognized, in addition to John William Draper's background of the clash among faith and technological know-how, as a defining research of the connection among faith and technological know-how. A unusual educator, student and author, Andrew Dickson White used to be the 1st president of Cornell college. White held the view that faith was once traditionally against development within the box of technology. He argued that any interference at the a part of faith in technological know-how had consistently proved disastrous, while medical research, irrespective of how doubtless harmful to faith, had constantly ended in the top reliable. A background of the conflict of technological know-how with Theology in Christendom is the fruits of thirty years of White's study, book and lectures at the topic. quantity discusses medication, madness, mythology, political economic system and comparative philology.
Read or Download A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom PDF
Best history & philosophy books
`Fluid, readable and available . .. i discovered the final caliber of the e-book to be first-class. It presents an summary of significant (and previous) advancements within the box of technological know-how stories. It examines landmark works, authors, strategies and techniques . .. i'll definitely use this publication as one of many direction texts' Eileen Crist, affiliate Professor, technology & know-how in Society, Virginia Tech technology is on the middle of up to date society and is for this reason important to the social sciences.
That the longstanding antagonism among technological know-how and faith is irreconcilable has been taken without any consideration. And within the wake of contemporary controversies over educating clever layout and the ethics of stem-cell study, the divide turns out as unbridgeable as ever. In technology vs. faith, Elaine Howard Ecklund investigates this unexamined assumption within the first systematic examine of what scientists really imagine and think approximately faith.
The 5th quantity of Dr Needham's enormous project, just like the fourth, is subdivided into components for ease of assimilation and presentation, every one half certain and released individually. the quantity as a complete covers the topics of alchemy, early chemistry, and chemical know-how (which comprises army invention, particularly gunpowder and rockets; paper and printing; textiles; mining and metallurgy; the salt undefined; and ceramics).
Up from not anything is the tale of the Michigan kingdom college Cyclotron Laboratory and its progress from the appointment of a unmarried person in 1958 to whilst the college earned the proper to construct the ability for infrequent Isotope Beams (FRIB) in 2008. The cyclotron laboratory at MSU has been recognized for years because the top college nuclear physics laboratory within the usa, and maybe on the planet.
- Microeconomic Laws: A Philosophical Analysis
- Research in History and Philosophy of Mathematics: The CSHPM 2015 Annual Meeting in Washington, D. C.
- Giuseppe Peano between Mathematics and Logic: Proceeding of the International Conference in honour of Giuseppe Peano on the 150th anniversary of his ... Mathematico Torino
- Cosmic apprentice : dispatches from the edges of science
- Plurality of Worlds: The Extraterrestrial Life Debate from Democritus to Kant
Additional resources for A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom
Even Pope Honorius III did something for the establishment of medical schools; but he did so much more to place ecclesiastical and theological fetters upon teachers and taught, that the value of his gifts may well be doubted. All germs of a higher evolution of * For the progress of sciences subsidiary to medicine even in the darkest ages, see Fort, pp. 374, 375 ; also Isensee, Geschichte der Medicin, pp. 225 et seq. ; also Monteil, p. 89 ; Heller, Geschichte der Physik, vol. i, bk. 3 ; also Kopp, Geschichte der Chemie.
35 gether in his various journeys, and especially in his crusading expeditions, many Greek and Arabic manuscripts, and took special pains to have those which concerned medicine preserved and studied; he also promoted better ideas of medicine and embodied them in laws. Men of science also rose, in the stricter sense of the word, even in the centuries under the most complete sway of theological thought and ecclesiastical power; a science, indeed, alloyed with theology, but still infolding precious germs.
17. THEOLOGICAL OPPOSITION TO ANATOMICAL STUDIES. 31 V. THEOLOGICAL OPPOSITION TO ANATOMICAL STUDIES. Yet a more serious stumbling-block, hindering the beginnings of modern medicine and surgery, was a theory regarding the unlawfulness of meddling with the bodies of the dead. This theory, like so many others which the Church cherished as peculiarly its own, had really been inherited from the old pagan civilizations. So strong was it in Egypt that the embalmer was regarded as accursed ; traces of it appear in Grasco-Roman life, and hence it came into the early Church, where it was greatly strengthened by the addition of perhaps the most noble of mystic ideas—the recognition of the human body as the temple of the Holy Spirit.